The ICYMI (In Case You Missed It) Weekly Round-Up: July 31–August 4, 2017
Greetings. In case you were wondering, “ICYMI” is short for “in case you missed it.” And this is a weekly digest of recent news, events, and content in and around Ivanti and Ivanti.com. We hope you find it both interesting and useful. Let us know via email to [email protected] – and thanks!
This Week’s Big News: It’s All About Ivanti!
The Summer 2017 edition of Silicon Slopes magazine features a great article by Ivanti CEO Steve Daly: “Careers In Utah: The Tech Community’s Responsibility To Keep Them Here.” Steve highlights the many advantages Utah offers both new and established companies. Notable among these is “an extensive pool of young, hard-working, highly educated job candidates coming out of top universities like Brigham Young University and the University of Utah.” Another strong draw is housing that is “significantly more affordable than what you find in other tech-centric parts of the country.”
Steve also discusses why companies that benefit from Utah’s advantages should do more to give back, and holds up Ivanti’s commitment to STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education as an example. “By helping the next generation of Utah’s tech industry, extending our company missions into a purpose greater than our own, we can create a self-sustaining ecosystem that develops the best talent and tech innovation for years to come.”
Elsewhere in the news, Ivanti Chief Security Officer (CSO) Phil Richards was part of a panel of experts interviewed by Huffington Post for a piece entitled “What’s The Future Of IoT Security?” Phil anticipates a future in which security becomes a selling point for products seeking to become part of the Internet of Things. “You will be able to update the digital certificate of your lightbulb, create a VLAN for your baby monitor, and patch your toaster.”
On the webinar front, we hosted a lively and well-attended session on Tackling Office 365 Deployment Challenges. Ivanti Product Managers Neil Barnett and Paul Whalley provided useful guidance and answers to several questions from participants. Enjoy the on-demand version of the webinar, and look for follow-up blog posts soon.
Blog Posts of the Week
- Your Threats Are Evolving. Are Your Defenses? – the top five cybersecurity threats of 2017 to date, as identified by Accenture Security research, plus recommendations for combatting them successfully.
- Improved Security Management in the Management Portal of RES ONE Workspace 10.1 – details of the advanced, yet simplified application security features of the latest RES ONE Workspace release.
- Your Love-Hate Relationship with Office 365 – and What to Do About It – some of the upsides and downsides of Microsoft’s hosted version of office, based on discussions with some of our customers.
- The Ivanti Threat Thursday Update for August 3, 2017: Hackers Hack Anti-Hackers – attacks on a cybersecurity analyst’s social media accounts and HBO, plus details of the lingering effects of recent malware attacks.
- Could You Be More GDPR-Ready with Some Course Corrections? – advice for those preparing to cope with next year’s General Data Privacy Regulation.
- Windows 10 Updates – The Great Debate – highlights and key takeaways from our recent webinar.
- 7 Limericks That Describe Ivanti’s Memorable Moments – our “poet laureate” at Ivanti / generates a veritable bounty / of rhymes succinct / some of which make you think / and others that are simply jaunty.
Coming Up This Week
- Tuesday, August 8: A Deep Dive into Ivanti Mobility: Discovery, Implementation, & Troubleshooting – the details you need to know to configure and troubleshoot your mobile device management (MDM) environment.
- Wednesday, August 9: August Patch Tuesday – Ivanti’s own Chris Goettl once again recaps the month’s Patch Tuesday output from Microsoft and leading third-party software vendors, and offers patching and testing guidance.
If you and your colleagues will be in or near Washington, DC this week, you can also see and hear Ivanti Security Specialist John Krug discuss “Defense in-depth” at the Tech Security Strategies Conference on August 10, hosted by Data Connectors. Hope to see you there!