June 2011 Patch Tuesday Advanced Notification
Microsoft has released their advanced notification for the June 2011 edition of Patch Tuesday. Welcome back very large Patch Tuesdays! This month marks a Microsoft "heavy" security bulletin release month. As expected, we are also seeing Internet Explorer receiving security updates through the bi-monthly update. It is interesting to note there are two security bulletins for Internet Explorer. Typically, Microsoft will only release one Internet Explorer bulletin.
For the June 2011 patch day, Microsoft is planning to release 16 bulletins addressing 34 vulnerabilities.
Security Bulletin Breakdown:
- 9 bulletins are rated Critical
- 7 bulletins are rated Important
- 10 vulnerabilities can lead to Remote Code Execution
- 2 vulnerabilities can lead to Information Disclosure
- 2 vulnerabilities can lead to Denial of Service
- 2 vulnerabilities can lead to Elevation of Privilege
- All supported Microsoft Operating systems (XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7, 2008 R2)
- All supported versions of Internet Explorer (7, 8, 9)
- All supported versions of Microsoft Office Excel (XP, 2003, 2007, 2010)
- Microsoft InfoPath 2007, 2010
- Microsoft Excel Viewer
- Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack 2007
- SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2008 R2
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010
- Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 Client
Yes, this will be another large Patch Day. We were hoping to see a new record number of security bulletins released, oh, say something (like in the 20+ bulletin count). However, we welcome, accept and look forward to the challenge of supporting as many patches as possible.
Adobe has also just announced they are planning to release updates for Adobe Reader and Acrobat. Next Tuesday will mark Adobe’s quarterly security update. This is an important date as Adobe has some outstanding vulnerabilities they have been waiting to address until the next scheduled quarterly update. These vulnerabilities have been sitting idle as their newest products have a sandbox that protect against exploitation.
With this many bulletins, stay tuned next Tuesday as there will be a lot of information to parse through. I will be holding our monthly webinar on Wednesday, June 15th to review the patches from Patch Tuesday. You can register for the event here .
- Jason Miller