Imagine a Passwordless World: Is it Possible?
Imagine a world of passwordless authentication, where users anywhere on any device can become automatically validated before access is granted. Or what if I told you the phrase ‘enabling secure access effortlessly’ is what we do here at Ivanti? You might ask how. Before we lead with the how, here’s the why: it’s our responsibility at Ivanti to make the Everywhere Workplace possible for organizations and their employees and to make it possible, it must be secure and it must be effortless for employees.
Now how do we do it? Here’s the quick answer: Zero Sign-On and FIDO2
Zero Sign-On now offers FIDO2 WebAuthn based passwordless access to protected enterprise cloud on managed desktops. Additionally, Zero Sign-On allows secure login to your desktop using mobile push notification.
What is Zero Sign-On (ZSO)?
Zero Sign-On enables passwordless authentication on mobile devices and desktops.
Key benefits of ZSO include:
- The elimination of passwords, reducing the risk of data breaches that result from stolen credentials.
- Removes the need to memorize, enter, or reset complex passwords, reducing password-related help-desk costs.
- ZSO is built on industry standards and can be used for enterprise cloud or hybrid services on any managed or unmanaged device, anywhere in the world.
Why is this important to you?
In February 2021, Ivanti released “The 2021 Secure Consumer Cyber Report,” revealing the specific threats putting businesses at risk. The report surveyed more than 2,000 people across the U.S. and U.K. working from home amid the pandemic and examined how consumer and enterprise cybersecurity habits have changed. The report also revealed how companies have taken steps to shore up cybersecurity. However, nearly one in four companies still fail to follow Zero Trust security best practices, such as multi-factor authentication requirements and corporate workspace segregation policies, all necessary to stay ahead of the attack curve. Combining zero sign-on capabilities with a zero trust approach automatically validates every user, device, app, network, and threats before greenlighting access — all without requiring a password.
What is FIDO2?
FIDO2 was meant to pave the way for easier adoption of secure, passwordless authentication for a wide range of online services and user devices. FIDO2 WebAuthn is quickly emerging as an important interoperability standard that enables users to select and manage an authenticator of their own (built-in platform authenticators such as a device biometrics or mobile device) that works with their web browser of choice (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, etc.) for secure access to any websites or applications that support the WebAuthn standard.
Bringing it all together.
- The recent general availability of FIDO2 support in ZSO, allows the workforce to securely access protected enterprise resources on their managed desktop using built-in device biometrics (faceID, fingerprintID etc).
- Additionally, if the device does not support biometrics, ZSO also allows passwordless authentication using mobile push notification.
- And we are not stopping there. With this new release, we also offer passwordless desktop login, bringing the same convenience and security to desktop logins.
We pride and differentiate ourselves from others in the industry by combining user and device based authentication. If a device is non-compliant, admins can set up policies to revoke access to protected resources, thus providing real-time adaptive access. With this release, we support MobileIron UEM, JAMF UEM and SCCM UEM.
Take a look at the video below on how users can now effortlessly access enterprise protected resources using mobile push notifications…securely.
We are always leading with the “why” and that’s because making the Everywhere Workplace a real possibility for enterprises and their anywhere workforce is top of mind, and that means security must come first.