August 2011 Patch Tuesday Advanced Notification
I am pinch hitting for Jason while he is out enjoying the calm before the Patch Tuesday storm.
Microsoft has just released their advanced notification for the August 2011 edition of Patch Tuesday. Microsoft is planning to release 13 security bulletins addressing 22 vulnerabilities.
Security Bulletin Breakdown:
- 2 bulletins are rated Critical
- 9 bulletins are rated Important
- 2 bulletins are rated Moderate
- 4 vulnerabilities can lead to Remote Code Execution
- 3 vulnerabilities can lead to Elevation of Privilege
- 3 vulnerabilities can lead to Denial of Service
- 3 vulnerabilities can lead to Information Disclosure
- All supported Microsoft operating systems
- .NET Framework 3.5
- Visual Studio 2005
In terms of the number of bulletins, this month looks lighter than the past two ‘large’ months that Microsoft has dropped on us. However, as we regularly point out in our monthly Patch Tuesday webinars, not all bulletins are created equally and the real amount of work required to patch your network will not be known until the actual release.
We will be reviewing each bulletin thoroughly next Wednesday, August 10th at 11:00am CDT during our monthly Patch Tuesday webinar. To learn more about these patches and how they will affect your environment, click here to register for the webinar.
- Jace McLean
Senior Member of Technical Staff, Research and Development