January 2012 Patch Tuesday Advanced Notification
Microsoft is kicking off the 2012 year with seven new Microsoft Security Bulletins. Just announced in their advanced notification for the January 2012 Patch Tuesday, these seven security bulletins will address eight vulnerabilities.
Security Bulletin Breakdown:
- 1 bulletin is rated as Critical
- 6 bulletins are rated as Important
- 3 vulnerabilities could lead to Remote Code Execution
- 1 vulnerability could lead to Security Feature Bypass
- 2 vulnerabilities could lead to Information Disclosure
- 1 vulnerability could lead to Elevation of Privilege
- All supported Microsoft Operating Systems
- Microsoft Developer Tools and Software
This Tuesday will also be a good chance to install the out-of-band security update (MS11-100) on your desktop systems. This out-of-band security update was released last Thursday (12/29/11) and should already be applied to your public facing web servers.
This January Patch Tuesday will also mark the Adobe Quarterly Security update release. Adobe has already stated they will be releasing security udpates for their Adobe Reader and Acrobat 10 product lines. We will have to wait to see what other security patches Adobe may be releasing on Patch Tuesday.
As this marks a light Patch Tuesday, you can see that a lot of work will be greeting administrators from their holiday vacation season.
- Jason Miller